Cilantro Pesto | Recipe from Michele Swetesich-Leon
Yields approx: 1 Cup
Ingredients (Use organic where possible)
- 2 cups fresh Cilantro (leaves & stems), packed
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- 1/3 cup Pine nuts (substitute chopped walnuts, almonds or use a combination of these nuts)
- 1/2 cup extra virgin olive oil
- 1/2 cup fresh grated hard cheese (Asiago, Parmesan, Romano or combination of these)
- Salt (Himalayan) and pepper to taste
Directions (food processor or blender)
- Place cilantro and nuts in food processor; pulse several times.
- Add garlic and cheese and pulse again several times. With a rubber spatula scrape down sides of bowl as needed.
- Slowly add oil in a steady stream, while processor is running, until desired consistency is achieved. With a rubber spatula periodically scrape down sides of bowl.
- Stir in salt and pepper to taste.
* For a creamier Pesto mix in some well ripened avocado or goat cheese.
* For a little kick add a chopped chili pepper with the cilantro and nuts.
* Substitute basil for cilantro for traditional pesto or anything green (spinach, mint, kale, parsley, arugula or combination of greens) for a unique taste.
- Tossed with pasta
- Spread on sandwiches, toast or crackers
- Added to ground meat
- As a topping on baked or roasted potatoes
- Atop beef, chicken or pork